Thursday, May 8, 2008

One of my favorite things about Chicago - Smoque

Have you ever flipped through the channels on TV only to find yourself watching a show you never thought you would because they mentioned the name of your city? Nothing makes my channel-changing stop on a dime like hearing someone say the word Chicago. "Oooh, what are they saying about my city?," I think. "I hope it's something I already know, because then I can totally scoff and say eh, lame, I already knew that, I'm soooo with it." But there's also a secret part of me that hopes I learn something new, so I can tell others about it and impress them with my new knowledge.

A number of months ago, Alex and I were flipping past my favorite network, the Food Network, when Guy Fieri (who I would normally flip past) was talking about our city. On Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, the Food Network host, who hasn't realized the 90s are so totally over (Now That's What I Call a Haircut, 1996 Edition!!!), introduced us to something new - Smoque - a fantastic little barbecue joint in Chicago that Alex and I have fallen in love with. We tell everyone about it so they think we are cool and soooo with it.

Excellent brisket, pulled pork, St. Louis ribs, baked beans, mac 'n cheese, cornbread, etc. all prepared by a friendly staff with the five owners floating about making sure everyone is happy - that's Smoque in a nutshell. Oh, and it's BYOB (what's not to love?). So who's coming to Chicago for ribs?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I actually saw that episode! Yes, I too will stop and watch anything about Seattle but I also will stop and watch just about anything on the food network because we don't have cable, and yet somehow we get the food network. And often that is the only channel with anything worth watching. And I do read your blog daily. I'm just too tired this last week to actually acknowledge it. Until now. :)

    ReplyDelete